October 31, 2011

Last week was a mess.

Monday - Got up at 3:30 am. Went with Mamaw to the hospital for a heart cath. Found out she had 70% blockage in her main artery going to the left side of her heart. Doctor told me and mom she would need open heart surgery. Mamaw decided to stay at the hospital and go ahead with surgery. The doctor would need to take an artery from her arm and one from her chest to bypass the blockage... double bypass.

Mom and Mamaw

Tuesday - Couldn't focus at work and my heart hurt. Left early and spent the evening with my Mamaw. I just keep thinking how strong she is.

Wednesday - Surgery day. I knew this was going to be a very long day. I tried to make light of the day by telling jokes, but my heart was aching on the inside. Mamaw was the second surgery of the day, it could take up to 6 hours. She went in for preop at noon. Surgery started at 2. At 6 pm, our pagers went off and Dr. Pavlina came out. He said she did wonderful. We finally got to go into see her at 8:30.

My brother, Jon, pretending to be the doctor.

Thursday - My Aunt Debbie died. She was my Uncle Ron's crutch; the love of his life. She was such a wonderful and giving person.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday - one big jumbled up blur. Mamaw is up walking on her own, breathing on her own, eating on her own. I can tell the loss of Debbie is overwhelming though.  

Mamaw said Homesick by Mercy Me repeats in her head.

You're in a better place, I've heard a thousand times
And at least a thousand times I've rejoiced for you
But the reason why I'm broken, the reason why I cry
Is how long must I wait to be with you

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

Help me Lord cause I don't understand your ways
The reason why I wonder if I'll ever know
But, even if you showed me, the hurt would be the same
Cause I'm still here so far away from home

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

In Christ, there are no goodbye
And in Christ, there is no end
So I'll hold onto Jesus with all that I have
To see you again
To see you again

And I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
Won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
Won't you give me strength to make it through somehow

I've never been more homesick than now

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry Britney! I am praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete